Places I've visited for more than a Day


visited 18 states (36%)
Create your own visited map of The United States or determine the next president

Electrical Engineer doing embedded programming since 1976.

The PC(USA) church list has moved!

Friday, February 11, 2005

Lack of Standards in Modbus

I am about to teach a class on Modbus to customers. Most of our customers see computers as a tool (This is a good thing TM), and are not programmers. So I have to explain how this very old standard does not cover current use and there are dozen's of different ways to use Modbus. The basic standard has not grown since the 70's. There are no standards for bytes, 32 bits, 64 bits, floating points, bitfields. Even byte order is not followed by some vendors.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Bartlesville, Oklahoma, United States
I use Linux (Kubuntu) at home and OpenOffice at work.